Monday, September 24, 2018

Lock N Load Tactical: Heroes of the Motherland: Rattenkrieg

Played my second game of Lock 'N Load tactical with Bill, this time Arty is added into the mix.

A simple scenario when it comes to VC, the Russians must control both of the circled building hexes at the end of the game.  The game is six turns and in a big twist on the normal procedure initiative is rolled for EVERY impulse so it is very possible that one side never gets to act in a turn.


First Blood!  Lt Koch (the decisive guy) shakes the Russian first move units.

End of turn 1.  I think the 12.7mm MG also fired at Lt. Koch's stake to no effect.

End of Turn 2.  Lt Koch keeps pouring fire onto the Guards stack.  
Turn 3 and the Russian Artillery falls!  Luckily for the Russians it is right on target, luckily for the Germans it has very little effect (in what should have been a disaster for the German defense).  The turn also ended with not much else happening.

End of turn 4.  Lt. Koch keeps up the fire on the wounded Russian leader and his stack, he is fired upon by the 12.7mm MG to no effect.  The Germans get initiative enough times in a fow to finish off the turn without the Russians getting any other moves.

End of turn 5.  The Germans move two squads back to the VC building and then get the initiative 3 times in a row to end the turn.  Since the Russians now have no chance of even getting to the VC building the game ends there.  As the German I was extremely lucky this game, suffering only one shaken unit the entire game and getting the initiative three times in a row on a couple of game turns - allowing me to end the turn before the Russian could move all his troops and they NEED to move in order to win. 
As I mentioned this is my second time playing the game and I really like it (besides being a lucky bastard to boot).  The turns flow nicely, each player has choices to make, there are multiple tactics that can work (I hate "puzzle" games or games where there is obviously one best way to handle each situation), and the rules are easy to read and understand without being simplistic.  Looking forward to my next game on Monday - this time featuring tanks!  Speaking of easy to read and understand rules, I read the tank/vehicle rules and understood them the first time through.  I'm looking forward to moving onto the Pacific and Desert (not to mention modern and Vietnam) titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment