Friday, July 14, 2017

6MM Helicopter Holders

I finally came up with a cheap and easy way to store my helicopters on their flight stands.  Materials are tubular foam insulation from Home Depot with a 1" inner diameter (the flight stands have a 1" hexagonal base on the bottom), Really Useful Boxes from Staples, and some cardboard cut to size - foam core would do nicely for that as well.

The tubular insulation.  They were about $2.50 each.  The two of them will probably be all I ever need.
Cut the cardboard or foam core to size so it fits snugly in the box you will hold the Helicopters in.  Cut the tubular insulation so it covers the base.  I cut mine at about 3/4" high. 

Glue the rings to the cardboard and let sit overnight to dry.  In the morning put the helicopters in.


Some aircraft as well.  Next up is to make these for my Vietnam helicopters as well.
A possible addition would be to make columns that fit snugly against the top of the carry case to keep the whole thing from bouncing around if I hit a bump while driving to the game location.  Total cost was $5 for the tube insulation and $15 for the boxes.  If I needed to buy foam core it is available for $1 a sheet at the local dollar store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment