Friday, April 13, 2018

ASL Classic Scenario H: Escape from VELIKIYE LUKI

Played this one on Friday with Bob Z over VASL.  Looking back I lied to him about Freedom of Movement that could have made a difference.  I'll console myself with it probably not being a big difference and I would not have taken the shots knowing they would grant FOM.  (OK, enough goveling).  This is one of the classics of course - straight from Squad Leader.  We liked it enough to decide to play it again with the same sides and trying different tactics and setups (maybe...).

The setup as I saw it.  My guys are all in 3 real Cloaking counters, the 10-2 and two squads above the woods area.  The 9-1 above the other little woods and the 8-0 next to him.  
End of German turn 1.  The Russians did not make a single Starshell roll and every low IFT roll they made was against a dummy Cloaking Counter.  I should have had my 10-2 and squads decloak when fired upon so the RU squad would have been uncealed when I advanced it.  Missed an ambush and the Russians and Germans both killed a squad in CC.  Russian player choose to not go after the squad with the German Leader, should have though since he rolled low enough to have caused a Casualty Reduction that might have killed the 10-2.  Russian big leader could start rolling for FoM right away.

End of Russian turn 1.  Russians find a Starshell, most firing is ineffective.  The RU guys on the hill fired on my guys in AA4 I think which allowed the guys in Y8 to fire on the gunflash.  Would not have if I had remembered that should cause FoM for them.  
End of German turn 2.  The Starshell placement was PERFECT.  Germans could run around the Russian defenses without needing to roll for straying (for most of them) and without being able to be fired upon.  Forgot about FoM being allowed when fired upon again... 
End of Russian turn 2.  That Freedom of Movement would have made a difference here.  Remember for next playing...


End of German turn 3.  With no unbroken enemies nearby the Germans use Starshells to light the way and RUN!  The RU big leader with the MMG sees them in the starshell light however (should have gone to D0/DD0 instead of EE1, ah well).  The shots does no damage but the RU leader is free to move now.

End of Russian turn 3.  The Russian leader starts moving but troops have a LONG way to go to stop the Germans.
End of German turn 4.  ANOTHER perfect Starshell placement (and this one was truly perfect).  The Germans run around where the Russians can not see them.  Getting very close to exiting the map now.

End of Russian turn 4.  Another exchange of fire goes all the German way again.
End of German turn 5.  Starshells placed right above their heads - no Russians have LOS to where the Germans are going and the Starshells allow them to move without rolling for Straying.

End of Russian turn 5.  Hoping for a wild Starshell placement and no luck.  Germans refrain from shooting - might cause a sniper and that would be BAD.

End of German turn 6 and the game.  The Germans are on a road and run right off the board.  Only worry is if there was a HIP Russian unit guarding the road and there was not.  A good scenario and a really good one for learning the night rules, a few squads in battle at a time with a large area to cover and a large initial NVR value (ours never changed throughout the game either).  Looking forward to playing it again and not cheating my way to a win.  I don't mind getting rules wrong but I do mind when it really contributed to my winning.
With that I am actually CAUGHT UP on my game blogging, every game since I've started the blog is now written up.  WOOHOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment