Wednesday, April 22, 2015

AAR for ASL FE 116 Bad Neighbor Policy

Played ASL scenario FE 116 bad Neighbor Policy with Tycho on Saturday and the more I play the worse I get...  this scenario takes place in Slovakia in 1939 and features the Slovaks vs the Hungarians, we could not decide which side was Axis and which was Allied.  I played the defending Hungarians and Tycho the Slovaks.  Early war, crappy troops, and tin cans - which proved to be decisive.


Setup Done.  Slovaks must enter between the Germans Crosses, Hungarians had to setup beyond the road denoted by the Soviet Stars.  Victory was having the most mult-hex buildings at game end (11 on the board).


End of Slovak turn one.  I took 7 to 9 Defensive fire shots with a modifier between 0 and -2 and had NO effect with any of them (not even causing a single MC/PTC).   Granted they were all 1 or 2 FP but... 


End of Hungarian Turn 1, more non-effective fire.  I REALLY should have hustled those units on the right up to the other road, results of that blunder coming up next!

End of Slovakian turn 2.  This half turn really set the tone for the rest of the game.  Two tin cans VBM freeze sleezed my guys where the red arrows are pointing, which allowed his infantry to skirt right on down the road - if only I had moved those infantry along like I had planned when I setup the darn defense to being with...  Although I managed to shock one ofthe Tin Cans and the gun fired on the other he then managed to win both CCs (red arrows pointing out locations).  I really should have broke and ran with the group near the gun, they could have held him up next turn - but I got greedy to save the MMG, stupid, Stupid, Stupid.  Oh Homer...


End of Hungarian turn 2.  RUN!  The gun managed to destroy the second tin can leaving only two left.  But those last two can stop my units from putting down defensive fire.  The Slovakian squads next to the gun put it out of its misery in the Defensive Fire Phase.

End of Slovakian turn 3.  The tin cans did the expected and VBM freeze sleezed my guy in R3.  Then a Slovack squad brushed off another -1 shot to get into P9, not looking good.

End of Hungarian Turn 3.  Trying to take back O9 building.  I managed to get guys in S10 to hold onto it though.  At this point Slovakians have 3 buildings and need 3 more to win.

End of Slovakian turn 4.  They manage to put a meleeonto the guys in N9 but the guy in S3 is holding them up from taking that building.  The gusy in V9 managed to take a building off to the right - 4 out of 6 captured.

End of Hungarian turn 4.  Blasted the gusy in P9 and went into CC, not managing to kill them (half squad left).  The Hungarian in R3 is holding on (upstairs, Slovaks downstairs but still an escape path).  While the guy in R5 breaks.

End of Slovakian turn 5.  He finally gets air support but does not bring it on yet.  The fight for R6 continues, I rout upstairs to try and hold the building and hope for a miracle rally, and hope to break his guys so they route first.  U6 manages to blast one of them...  A tin can fails a mobility check but his neighbor goes off to VBM another hex.

End of Hungarian turn 5.  The Slovakian Airforce attacks!  Boxcars! It attacks the guy in R6 and then R7 (FB with MG) but causes no damage.  Oh - did mention that the slovaks rolled up another 8-1 leader in CC?  At this point the Slovaks have 6 buildings unless the Hungarians can take one back it is over.

End of the game, The fight for P9 does not go the Hungarian way - the Hungarians in L5 and L3 show how far they could have gotten going all out - but the broken unit in L4 could route upstairs and keep possession of the building.


I sure hope I play better next time.  Tycho played a solid game - using the Tin Cans to best advantage.  All they are really good for is VBM freeze or denying route paths and they did that par excellence.






No comments:

Post a Comment